The Ol' Boys at S&G have been fighting the good fight against the dread Richt-O-Philia for about five years now. In the early days we wanted Richt gone but only if he was to be replaced with a sure fire up-grade. In my mind that has always been Gary Patterson. In fact I have railed against the notion of hiring Kirby Smart as a replacement for Richt. However, time changes things and one can only endure mediocrity for so long before one says "I will take anything so long as it is different!"
My mind has slowly been changed on Kirby Smart as the replacement for Richt. The change has happened for two reasons:
1. I think there is a compelling argument for what Smart can bring, and
2. The clandestine cronies that encircle our program like vultures are obviously scared to death that Smart will get the job and fire them. Thus is the reason for what I am now calling "Operation Throw Pruitt Under the Bus" (or Brian VanGorder 2.0) that has been simmering since the Florida fiasco.
Now as to point number 1, the compelling arguments, here they are:
1. Recruiting- Kirby Smart is regarded as one of if not the best recruiter in the country. He lives, eats, breaths and sleeps recruiting. His recruiting is relentless and his ties are very, very deep in SEC country. All of that said Kirby would be walking into a situation where everything he needs to win at a high level on a consistent basis is within the borders of the Peach state. Kirby already knows about them Georgia Peaches because he currently beats us on a consistent basis for some of our top in state talent. Smart's dedication to recruiting is juxtaposed against Richt who will from time to time just go on two or three years stints where "Ehhhhh..recruiting reschmooting who gives a crap, right?"
According to Rivals the State of Georgia has 23 of the top 250 recruits in the Nation and 10 of the top 100. Right now Richt has 4 of the 10 in the top 100, has lost one and has 5 undecided. In the top 250 in the State of Georgia Richt has 6 of the 23, has lost 7 of the 23 and has 10 undecided. Now mind you this is a banner year for Richt because usually he would have no more that 2 of these kids in the fold by now. If Kirby Smart were at Georgia with his relentless recruiting I would imagine UGA would have 7 of the 10 in the top 100 and 14 of the 23 in the top 250 with probably 5 or 6 kids still undecided.
2. Strength and Conditioning- Word on "da' skreets" is that if Kirby jumps ship he will bring the man, the myth, the legend Scott Cochran with him.
In the man's own words "This little man makes MONSTERS!" I ain't even gonna lie to y'all - the thought of Scott Cochran at Georgia just made me moist! In fact I am sliding right out of my throne deep within the bowls of Snake Mountain even as I type this. Plus I understand that his yelling and cussing skills may be second only the Great and Mighty Patterson!
|The man yells. All he does is yell. He even yells when he tweets!|
3. Culture- Now if you have been lurking around here for long enough then you know the Rider is subject to not write anything for weeks or months at a time. That being said, so long as Richt is sucking the joint up at UGA and so long as I am writing you are going to get sick of me talking about the single most queeftastic quote to ever come forth from the lips of a Richt-O-Phile. The quote is of course this:
"It's about a culture that has the right culture of love, respect, together.”
That is what Fran the Man said about why Pruitt was the problem after the Florida loss. Everything about this quote perfectly sums up everything that is wrong at Georgia and wrong with Mark Richt! Since we are program of "LOVE" let me ask you this "Why do we keep trying to capture what Saban does in a bottle and bring it to Athens?" Do you know why we hired Todd Grantham? He had some distant tie to Nick Saban and defense at Michigan State. Do you know why we hired Jeremy Pruitt? The same reason FSU hired him because he was the secondary coach at Alabama for years. Yet when we get a little of that Saban mentality in Athens we quickly try to smother it with a pillow. We have done the peace, love, community, communist BS for 15 years now and it isn't working! What we need is a change in culture. What we need is a yelling, cussing, pedal to the metal, George S. Patton I better not hear any reports that we are holding our position, win at all costs culture! That is the right culture to have because this is FOOTBALL!
4. Defense- Defense still wins championships! I believe that if Smart is the HC he will keep Pruitt as DC. If Richt stays then we are almost assured that Pruitt is gone! What is that? You don't care? You don't really like Pruitt? Well how about this:
In his second year and with a number of freshmen and sophomores playing Pruitt's Defense ranks like this:
Defensive Points Allowed- 168 8th in the NCAA
Total Defense- 4.7 yards per play 9th in the NCAA
Pass Defense- 151.9 yards per game 2nd in the NCAA
Red Zone D- 65% 3rd in the NCAA
3rd Down Conversions- 30.7% 11th in the NCAA
1st Downs Allowed 165 3rd in the NCAA
Run Defense- 148.1 yards per game 46th in the NCAA
Wow! Pruitt sure does suck! I wonder if Willie Martinez might be interested in being the new DC in Athens?
All in all I just do not think I can stomach another year of Mark Richt's pandering, mediocre nonsense! So right now I will gladly take this: